Madonna, Claudio, Dr.
Claudio Madonna was born in Locarno (Switzerland) in 1983. He received his BSc degree in 2006 and his MSc degree in 2008 in Earth Sciences. In 2013, he obtained his PhD at ETH Zurich with his thesis "Laboratory Measurements of Seismic Attenuation and Computation of Elastic Moduli of Reservoir Rocks". At present, Claudio is lecturer at ETH Zurich.
Claudio’s competence in the SCCER-SoE group focuses on research and development in experimental rock physics on material properties and geomechanical processes relevant to deep geoenergy reservoir engineering. Design of, and participation in studies that allow bridging small-scale rock properties and deformation experiments with larger-scale properties and behavior of underground rock laboratories.
- Pini R. and Madonna, C.: Moving across scales: a quantitative assessment of X-ray CT to measure the porosity of rocks, Journal of Porous Materials, 23, 325-338. Go to article
- Subramaniyan S., Quintal B., Madonna C. and Saenger E.H.: Laboratory-based seismic attenuation in Fontainebleau sandstone: Evidence of squirt flow, Journal of Geophysical Research 120, 7526–7535. Go to article
- Delle Piane C., Sarout J., Madonna C., Saenger E.H., Dewhurst D.N. and Raven M., 2014: Frequency-dependent seismic attenuation in shales: Experimental results and theoretical analysis, Geophysical Journal International 198, 504–515. Go to article
- Saenger E.H., Madonna C., Frehner M. and Almqvist B.S.G., 2014: Numerical support of laboratory experiments: Attenuation and velocity estimations, Acta Geophysica 61, 1–11. Go to article
- Subramaniyan S., Quintal B., Tisato N., Saenger E.H. and Madonna C., 2014: An overview of laboratory apparatuses to measure seismic attenuation in reservoir rocks, Geophysical Prospecting 62, 1211–1223. Go to article
- Andrä H., Combaret N., Dvorkin J., Glatt E., Han J., Krzikalla F., Lee M., Madonna C., Marsh M., Mukerji T., Ricker S., Saenger E.H., Sain R., Saxena N., Wiegmann A. and Zhan X., 2013: Digital rock physics benchmarks - Part I: Imaging and segmentation, Computers & Geosciences 50, 25–32. Go to article
- Andrä H., Combaret N., Dvorkin J., Glatt E., Han J., Krzikalla F., Lee M., Madonna C., Marsh M., Mukerji T., Ricker S., Saenger E.H., Sain R., Saxena N., Wiegmann A. and Zhan X., 2013: Digital rock physics benchmarks - Part II: Computing effective properties, Computers & Geosciences 50, 33–43. Go to article
- Madonna C., Quintal B., Frehner M., Almqvist B.S.G., Tisato N., Pistone M., Marone F. and Saenger E.H., 2013: Synchrotron-based X-ray tomographic microscopy for rock microstructure investigations, Geophysics 78, D53–D64. Download data. Go to article
- Madonna C. and Tisato N., 2013: A new Seismic Wave Attenuation Module to experimentally measure low-frequency attenuation in extensional mode, Geophysical Prospecting 61, 302–314. Go to article
- Madonna C., Almqvist B.S.G. and Saenger E.H., 2012: Digital rock physics: Numerical prediction of pressure-dependent ultrasonic velocities using micro-CT imaging, Geophysical Journal International 189, 1475–1482. Go to article
- Tisato N. and Madonna C., 2012: Attenuation at low seismic frequencies in partially saturated rocks: Measurements and description of a new apparatus, Journal of Applied Geophysics 86, 44–53. Go to article
- Almqvist B.S.G., Mainprice D., Madonna C., Burlini L. and Hirt A.M., 2011: Application of differential effective medium, magnetic pore fabric analysis, and X-ray microtomography to calculate elastic properties of porous and anisotropic rock aggregates, Journal of Geophysical Research 116, B01204. Go to article
- Quintal B., Frehner M., Madonna C., Tisato N., Kuteynikova M. and Saenger E.H., 2011: Integrated numerical and laboratory rock physics applied to seismic characterization of reservoir rocks, The Leading Edge 30, 1360–1367. Go to article